- The installation process stops and I get a message saying that Logframer is incompatible with my Windows version
- The installation process stops and I get a message saying that Logframer is incompatible with the version of the .NET Framework currently installed on my computer
- Norton Anti-virus halts the installation process, claiming that it has found a virus
- Help with projects
Logframer is distributed under a GNU General Public License. The software is available free of charge and can be installed, copied, distributed as many times as you want on as many computers as you want. There is no trial period or any 'bloatware' that is installed during the installation process (e.g. 'free' add-ons for your browser or other junk). For more information, visit this page.
Logframer is only available as Windows software, and no Macintosh version of the programme is planned. The reasons why Logframer were developped for Windows are the following:
- The Intel/Windows platform is used by 90% of people versus 9% that use Macs and 1% that use Linux.
- Logframer was developed with developing countries in mind. That is why it is free and open source software. Apple products tend to be more expensive than Windows PCs, and it's very rare to see Macs in a development context.
- Logframer is developped as a hobby project, meaning amongst other things that it's made on a shoestring budget, mainly using free tools such as Visual Basic.net Express edition, Gimp, Libre Office, etc. which are all available for the Windows platform. Software development for Apple computers is much more restricted and controlled.
However, in principle you could use mono to run the .Net framework on both Macintosh and Linux. (Note: I haven't tried it (for a lack of a Mac), so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tries this.) Mono does have some restrictions though, in that not all .Net libraries are translated. But then Logframer does not use anything exotic, so there's a good chance it would work.
You can find more information about Mono on their project site: http://www.mono-project.com.
At the moment, Logframer is available in:
When you start up the application for the first time, it will try to determine the language of your operating system. Afterwards, you can still change the user interface language using the Tools menu item.
In the future, Spanish will be added to the list of available languages. Additional languages may added further on, depending on user support on the one hand and the ability to maintain all those different language version on the other.
The installation process stops and I get a message saying that Logframer is incompatible with my Windows version
Logframer works on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (and 8.1) and Windows 10. However, you may need to install the latest Service Pack (SP) for your version of Windows. Secondly, you need to make sure that you have the right version of the .NET Framework. Logframer only works with the .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.
To solve both these problems, use the Windows Update procedure. You can find Windows Update in your Start menu. For more information, click on your desktop and press F1, then search for Windows Update.
Note that you can't install a Service Pack together with other updates. After you've installed the most recent Service Pack, you can check which version of the .NET Framework is installed. If necessary you can then use Windows Update to install the latest version of the .NET Framework.
The installation process stops and I get a message saying that this version of Logframer is incompatible with the version of the .NET Framework currently installed on my computer
Logframer only works with the .NET Framework 4.0 or higher. If you have an older version of the .NET Framework, you need to update.
To solve this problem, use the Windows Update procedure. You can find Windows Update in your Start menu. For more information, click on your desktop and press F1, then search for Windows Update.
You can also use this link to download version 4.0 of the .NET Framework (which is the minimal version that Logframer needs, but it is not the most recent version).
Logframer is completely virus-free, but because it is a relatively new Windows application, it is still unknown by some virus scanners. As a precautionary measure, your virus scan may block the installation when you use the green button on the download page. However, there is a workaround:
- You can download the compressed installation package by clicking on one of the links below. Alternatively, you can download Logframer from the mirror sites listed on the Download page.
- Download the archive of your choice (.zip or .tar) and save it to a folder on your computer
- When the download is finished, locate the archive on your computer and unzip it. If your computer doesn't have software to (de)compress zipped archives or tarballs, you can install free software such as 7zip.
- Doubleclick the setup.exe file in the uncompressed folder and follow the instructions.
On this website you will find a lot of information about how you can design a project using a logical framework. However, due to time constraints it is not possible for me to help individual people or organisations with the development of their project. In most countries you will be able to find organisations and consultants that are more than willing to help you develop your project - although this service may come at a fee. In some cases, NGOs and donor agencies organise courses for free, but they may limit subscription to their partner organisations. Keep an open eye for these initiatives in your neighbourhood.
Sadly, no. Should you come across a millionaire phylantropist that is willing to hand out money, do feel free to give my contact details.